Competitive salary plus benefits
Deadline for applications: 23rd April 2021
About the role
APEM are looking to recruit a civil engineer to join our growing environmentally-focussed engineering design team. The successful candidate will work on a range of interesting and exciting projects, including fish passes, eel passes, river restoration projects and natural flood management schemes for a wide client base that includes government agencies, water utility companies, wildlife and river trusts and private clients. APEM’s engineering projects extend from initial site assessments and feasibility studies, through to full detailed design. This role will provide the opportunity to work alongside APEM’s industry-renowned aquatic and environmental scientists on challenging and rewarding projects and will enable the successful candidate to bring significant benefits to the aquatic environment and river habitats across the British Isles. We are looking to recruit a Principal Civil Engineer or Senior Civil Engineer.
As a Principal/Senior Civil Engineer you will have a proven track record of working on civil engineering projects in the aquatic environment, with a sound understanding of the complexities and challenges associated with the design and construction of in-river schemes. This will enable you to lead or undertake projects at all stages, from initial option identification and appraisal, through to detailed design. At the Principal Engineer grade you will ideally have chartered engineer status with ICE or CIWEM, or be working towards achieving this. At the Senior Engineer grade, you will preferably be working towards obtaining chartered engineer status.
- Design of in-river civil engineering projects at concept, outline and detailed design stage. Experience in the design of fish/eel passes and the engineering design of river restoration schemes would be an advantage.
- Ability to identify and critically appraise options to assist clients in identifying the right solution for their needs, including persuasive report writing.
- Application of the CDM regulations to all stages of the project life cycle, including actively identifying and mitigating risks during design and documenting residual risks.
- Principal grade; a proven ability to lead and deliver projects and manage/work with internal and external specialist staff or subconsultants where additional inputs are necessary to ensure project success.
- Senior grade; experience in working as part of a project team, working alongside colleagues and specialist subconsultants where required to successfully deliver design projects.
- Experience of working in a commercial consulting environment.
- Principal grade; ability to lead projects and manage clients across a range of schemes, plus a proven ability to produce and review tenders/proposals that demonstrate cost-effective quality and expertise.
- Senior grade; experience in contributing to and delivering projects, plus experience of the project management of smaller projects and inputting to successful tenders/proposals.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
We are APEM, a leading global environmental consultancy, specialising in terrestrial, freshwater and marine ecology, and aerial surveys.
APEM’s clients benefit from an integrated approach to the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and terrestrial and marine habitats, based on sound science and our collective experience. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in finding and providing solutions to our clients. Quality, innovation, and expert technical ability are often cited as the key reasons why clients return time after time for all their environmental consultancy needs.
People are the heart of APEM and form one of the building blocks of our strategic plan, for us, employing and retaining the best technical staff and consultants is paramount to our success.
We are proud to be an inclusive company and stand for equality for all. As such we welcome applications from all individuals regardless of race, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Our continued growth, from a small aquatic consultancy 35 years ago, to a leading global environmental consultancy hasn’t been dampened by the pandemic in 2020, and we have continued to grow and expand with further ambitious plans for 2021 and beyond.