Competitive salary plus benefits
Deadline for applications: 14th May 2021
About the role
This is an excellent opportunity to join our expanding, busy and experienced Marine Wildlife and Ornithology team.
The Marine Wildlife & Ornithology Team is a global leader in the offshore survey of seabirds, marine mammals and other wildlife, and assessing the potential impacts on seabirds, especially in the context of marine renewables
The purpose of the role is to provide marine wildlife consultancy services (primarily ornithology and marine mammals) to clients; dealing with all aspects of the consultancy process, bringing in new projects through to production of high quality scientific report outputs and maintaining technical excellence.
Successful applicants should preferably have a degree in biology / environmental science /ecology and ideally relevant experience in ornithological /marine megafauna or offshore wind related work. You will be the technical lead in your area of expertise, providing advice and guidance to colleagues and clients.
You will need to be able to work to tight deadlines and be an active interface manager with other departments, building strong working relationships both internally and externally. Understanding of MS Office packages such as Excel is essential, and experience of GIS software packages. Previous experience in data handling and/or manipulation is essential alongside working knowledge of quality management/control. Flexibility and reliability are key in this role and high attention to detail is required. The candidate will be expected to lead a highly performing team , drive science based innovation for the division and provide sound ecological advice to the Offshore industries at both project and strategic levels.
- To be able to produce high quality work within tight time and cost constraints, ensuring repeat business.
- Ability to mentor a team of technical specialists, senior, scientists and graduates to produce timely, accurate and high quality products and services, including remote workers.
- Ability to lead on technical specialist topics (EIA, HRA, statistical modelling for ornithology and other receptors) and innovation within the division
- Sound understanding of seabird ecology and/or marine biology
- Offshore industry experience preferable
- Marine Wildlife identification skills desirable
- Partner with the Principals and Associate Directors to expand the business across the UK, Europe and worldwide.
- Work closely with the Principals and Associate Directors to set and deliver the business strategies for the ornithology consultancy team.
- To lead and mentor a team of consultants, technical specialists and senior consultants to produce timely, accurate and high quality products and services.
- Be responsible for part of the output of the wider team, reviewing and signing off reports, providing constructive feedback and coaching where required in order to achieve this.
- Ensuring that all output is delivered to the highest standard, in line with timescales agreed with the client, within budget and to the highest technical quality.
- Involved in all aspects of tender preparation including writing proposals, setting budgets, programmes and scope alone, with other internal teams and in partnership with external organisations.
- Project management of multiple large scale projects with multidisciplinary teams based in various locations.
- Client management, successfully developing, maintaining and managing internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- Business development – UK, Ireland, Europe and RoW, taking APEM into new markets/sectors for wildlife surveys and associated activities, with existing clients as well as securing and managing new work/opportunities, maintaining and extending relationships and developing knowledge on local policy/operations/industry and stakeholders.
- To lead sales and marketing strategy for the team, attend and present at appropriate business development events including networking events and conferences.
- To carry out any additional activities that may be reasonably required or requested.
We are APEM, a leading global environmental consultancy, specialising in terrestrial, freshwater and marine ecology, and aerial surveys.
APEM’s clients benefit from an integrated approach to the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and terrestrial and marine habitats, based on sound science and our collective experience. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in finding and providing solutions to our clients. Quality, innovation, and expert technical ability are often cited as the key reasons why clients return time after time for all their environmental consultancy needs.
People are the heart of APEM and form one of the building blocks of our strategic plan, for us, employing and retaining the best technical staff and consultants is paramount to our success.
We are proud to be an inclusive company and stand for equality for all. As such we welcome applications from all individuals regardless of race, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Our continued growth, from a small aquatic consultancy 35 years ago, to a leading global environmental consultancy hasn’t been dampened by the pandemic in 2020, and we have continued to grow and expand with further ambitious plans for 2021 and beyond.