Salary: competitive plus benefits
Deadline for applications: 21st October
APEM Limited is Europe’s largest specialist aquatic environmental consultancy. With over 30 years’ experience, we offer our clients an integrated approach to every aspect of the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and marine habitats and operate UK wide and internationally. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in providing solutions to our clients.
So far 2019 has been a big year for APEM. We have been awarded Water Industry Consultant of the Year and we completed a management buyout. We are heading for a new record turnover and are pushing forward into a number of new areas as well as expanding our teams in our traditional areas.
About the role
You will work within a dynamic team of aquatic environmental scientists with cross-cutting expertise in ecology, hydrology, geomorphology, water quality, fisheries and natural capital, to deliver a range of projects for the UK water and energy industries, and their environmental regulators.
We are seeking candidates with desk-based experience in the following technical areas:
- Biological water quality assessment;
- Environmental water resource management e.g. environmental components of water company Drought Plans and Water Resource Management Plans;
- Water quality assessment and modelling;
- Invasive-Non Native Species;
- Statistical analysis, data management and modelling of large and complex environmental data sets.
Key features of the Consultant role will be management and analysis of numerical datasets and contribution to the production of high quality, technical reports that are focused on the needs of our clients. Working under the guidance of a technical lead, you will demonstrate initiative and attention to detail. You will be primarily office-based, although site visits and client meetings will be required. Excellent opportunities for career progression and development.
You will be an enthusiastic self-starter with a genuine interest in freshwater environments. You will be qualified to a minimum of BSc. level in a relevant discipline, with evidence of experience relevant to the grade you are applying for. Whether you are an applicant with academic, regulatory, consultancy or third sector experience you will need to demonstrate your ability to apply your skills in a fast-paced commercial consultancy through project experience and dealing with people effectively and professionally.
Suitable candidates will be able to demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of relevant UK legislation (e.g. Water Framework Directive, Habitats Directive, the Agriculture Bill and Defra’s 25 Year Environment Plan).
- Qualified to at least B.Sc level
- Typically 1-2 years’ professional experience
- Desk and/or field-based experience of some or all of the following technical areas: hydro-ecology; biological water quality assessment; environmental water resource management e.g. environmental components of water company Drought Plans and Water Resource Management Plans; water quality assessment and modelling; statistical analysis, data management and modelling of large and complex environmental data sets
- Excellent data management and analysis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Driving licence
- A relevant higher degree
- An understanding of key UK environmental legislation