APEM Limited is Europe’s largest specialist aquatic environmental consultancy. With over 30 years’ experience, we offer our clients an integrated approach to every aspect of the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and marine habitats and operate UK wide and internationally. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in providing solutions to our clients.
So far 2019 has been a big year for APEM. We have been awarded Water Industry Consultant of the Year and we completed a management buyout. We are heading for a new record turnover and are pushing forward into a number of new areas as well as expanding our teams in our traditional areas.
About the role
The Ornithology Team is a global leader in the offshore survey of seabirds, marine mammals and other wildlife, and assessing the potential impacts on seabirds, especially in the context of marine renewables.
We are looking to expand our busy and experienced Ornithology Team to help deliver a range of new and existing projects for our expanding client base within the UK and globally. As a Senior Consultant within our Ornithology Team you would be responsible for providing specialist technical advice, managing our input to NSIP projects, and to provide analysis and interpretation of data to feed into high quality reporting.
- You must be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of ornithology, preferably with experience and knowledge on waterbirds and seabirds within estuarine, coastal and marine environments.
- You will be qualified to a minimum of BSc. level in a relevant discipline, with evidence of experience relevant to the grade you are applying for.
- Whether you are an applicant with academic, regulatory, consultancy or third sector experience you will need to demonstrate your ability to apply your skills in a fast-paced commercial consultancy context through experience of managing projects and dealing with people effectively and professionally.
- You will need either previous experience of modelling, statistical analysis and / or experience of undertaking ecological impact assessments focussing on birds for development applications.
- Being able to demonstrate data interpretation skills you would have the ability to carefully and robustly analyse ornithological data in the context of anthropogenic factors, producing well written and high quality reports.
- You will have good IT literacy and data analysis skills, will be numerate and have a good eye for detail.
- Educated to degree level (Bachelors 2.1 or above), or preferably a Masters or Doctoral thesis in a relevant environmental science (e.g. ornithology, marine mammals, terrestrial ecology, mathematics or Environmental Impact Assessment);
- Experience of managing projects on time and to budget;
- Ability to write clearly and concisely, experience in reviewing reports and delivering high quality reports;
- Experience of reviewing opportunities and preparing technically and financially sound proposals;
- To be comfortable communicating with clients and stakeholders (particularly with regulators and stakeholders in the UK);
- Previous experience of report writing in a research, technical and / or commercial environment
- Previous experience in modelling or statistical analysis and or experience in assessing the potential impacts on birds from proposed developments;
- Spatial analysis using GIS to relate animal distributions to environmental features
- Proficiency in the use and application of GIS;
- Proficiency in the use of R or similar packages;
- Experience in population modelling (e.g. PVA);
- Knowledge of EIA guidance, policies and legislation;
- Experience working on NSIP projects;
- Experience of working on ornithological impact assessments for projects within the estuarine, coastal or marine environment (e.g. displacement analysis and collision risk modelling);
- Experience or knowledge of working on ornithological impact assessments for offshore wind farms.