Competitive salary plus benefits
Deadline for applications: Monday 24th February 2020
APEM is Europe’s largest specialist aquatic environmental consultancy. We offer our clients an integrated approach to the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and terrestrial and marine habitats and operate UK wide and internationally. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in providing solutions to our clients.
2019 was a big year for APEM so far. We were awarded water industry consultant of the year and we completed a management buyout. In 2020 and beyond we will continue our ambitions for growth and innovation.
APEM is a highly reputable company, renowned for our quality and long list of trusted clients, who once secured, provide repeat business year after year, trusting us to deliver a high-quality service at a fair price.
About the role
We are looking for a motivated individual to join the Data Operations Team to work as Data Manager / GIS Developer, to support our Remote sensing and Ornithology Divisions.
Based at APEM’s operational office in Chester you will manage the many terabytes of digital imagery and associated companion files that our data operations team captures, along with managing the internal delivery of that data to the correct team in there desired format and file structure. Alongside this role you will undertake application development and workflow improvements to streamline data workflows and product delivery. Working closely with the Data Operations Team Manager, the role will involve applied programming, script writing, databasing, Web GIS, data management and problem solving skills, as well as undertaking business development activities in order to increase productivity and drive forwards APEM’s services into the future.
You will be a recent graduate of a BSc/MSc in computer science, software engineering or other relevant subject, or equivalent demonstrable experience, with 0-2 year’s industry experience. With a willingness to learn and develop your skill in new areas, you may not be looking to go down the more traditional employment routes and looking for something different that will challenge your skills in new and different ways.
You will have excellent technical ability with working knowledge of at least some of the following languages, Python, Java, Matlab, etc…and a willingness to learn and expand you knowledge.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Previous experience in data handling, tracking and recoding keeping.
- Previous development experience with the ability to deliver projects on time and to budget is desirable.
- Comfortable communicating with management and non-technical teams.
- Understanding of testing methodologies and processes.
- Knowledge of data security best practice and web security.
- Understanding of geospatial and geographic information system workflows is desirable, but training and guidance can be provided;
- Understanding of object relational databases and spatial databases is a must, with past experience in developing databases desirable.
- Knowledge of cloud computing and data storage is desirable, along with security and networking.
- Excellent general IT skills and confident working with computer hardware.
- The ability to troubleshoot issues and resourcefulness in seeking solutions to problems, often over the phone or skype is required;
- Full driving licence.