Competitive salary plus benefits
Deadline for applications: 23rd April 2021
About the role
We are seeking an experienced Senior Ecology Consultant to join our expanding terrestrial ecology team. We are particularly interested in ecologists who can develop our in-house bat capability and provide mentoring support for graduate ecologists. You must hold an ecology-related first degree and have at least five years relevant professional experience. The applicant must hold a personal bat licence with Natural Resources Wales (and preferably also a level two bat survey licence (WML-CL18) with Natural England). Familiarity with guidelines on bat survey techniques and sound analysis is essential, and the applicant must have been the named ecologist on at least one project licence in both England and Wales.
An additional focus of the role may be undertaking and managing ecological surveys and assessments, for example Phase 1 Habitat surveys and protected species surveys and mitigation.
To be successful in this role we are looking for applications from experienced professionals who have worked in a similar role. They should have:
- Ecology-related degree and preferably either an MSc or PhD in a relevant discipline, or the equivalent professional experience;
- Surveying and working experience in the UK regulatory framework including protected species licensing;
- Experience in preparing and holding mitigation licences for bats in Wales (and preferably also England);
- Practical experience of ECoW role in relation to bats;
- Associate or Full membership of CIEEM or eligibility for these;
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to organise and develop their work with minimal supervision, as well as excellent team working ability;
- Full current UK driving licence.
- Current first aid at work/ confined spaces entry/ CSCS card/ asbestos awareness/ working at height training and/or qualifications are desirable;
- Knowledge and experience of the EIA and HRA processes in relation to bats;
- Experience of protected species surveys and mitigation for species other than bats;
- Hold at least one protected species licence with Natural Resources Wales (and/or England) in addition to bats;
- GIS skills.
You will be self-motivated and able to work independently and within project teams drawn from our regional offices. As a Principal/ Senior Consultant you will also have the drive and enthusiasm to expand the current portfolio within APEM and to represent it externally. Thus, the ability to communicate effectively with clients in all sectors and a sense of pride in, and responsibility for your work are paramount for this position.
Whether you are an applicant with academic, regulatory, consultancy or third sector experience you will need to demonstrate your ability to apply your skills in a commercial consultancy context through experience of managing projects and dealing with people effectively and professionally.
We are APEM, a leading global environmental consultancy, specialising in terrestrial, freshwater and marine ecology, and aerial surveys.
APEM’s clients benefit from an integrated approach to the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and terrestrial and marine habitats, based on sound science and our collective experience. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in finding and providing solutions to our clients. Quality, innovation, and expert technical ability are often cited as the key reasons why clients return time after time for all their environmental consultancy needs.
People are the heart of APEM and form one of the building blocks of our strategic plan, for us, employing and retaining the best technical staff and consultants is paramount to our success.
We are proud to be an inclusive company and stand for equality for all. As such we welcome applications from all individuals regardless of race, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Our continued growth, from a small aquatic consultancy 35 years ago, to a leading global environmental consultancy hasn’t been dampened by the pandemic in 2020, and we have continued to grow and expand with further ambitious plans for 2021 and beyond.