Location: Flexible – any location across UK or Ireland
Grade: Principal / Associate Director
Competitive salary plus benefits
Deadline for applications: 22nd January 2021
APEM is Europe’s largest specialist aquatic environmental consultancy. We offer our clients an integrated approach to the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and terrestrial and marine habitats and operate UK wide and internationally. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in providing solutions to our clients.
2019 was a big year for APEM. We were awarded water industry consultant of the year and we completed a management buyout. In 2020 and beyond we will continue our ambitions for growth and innovation.
APEM is a highly reputable company, renowned for our quality and long list of trusted clients, who once secured, provide repeat business year after year, trusting us to deliver a high-quality service at a fair price.
We are proud to be an inclusive company, with People as one of the key pillars that our strategy is built upon. We stand for equality for all. As such we welcome applications from all individuals regardless of race, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
We have specific office locations, but equally acknowledge that good candidates may be based anywhere in the UK or Ireland.
About the role
Do you want to progress to the next stage in your career? Is a large multi-national consultancy not your thing? Is your current employer too small for you to grow? At the advent of the UK’s 25 Year Environment Plan, we have a rare and exciting opportunity for you make your mark in our growing company at a critical stage in its development.
The role will entail developing and leading a Natural Capital/Biodiversity Net Gain team. This will involve the delivery of current projects as well as securing new opportunities and building a team. You will work across all of APEM’s divisions in terrestrial, marine and freshwater ecology, and its world-leading remote sensing services.
You will be a commercially-minded individual with a proven consultancy track record with a desire to carve their own niche within APEM. You will join APEM’s wider senior management team with a remit to contribute to the growth and diversification the business plan. You will work within and across a wider team to deliver projects across the UK.
The successful candidate will work with a wide variety of environmental & engineering consultancies, government agencies and regulatory bodies as well as other external stakeholders.
You will be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the business, policy and regulatory environment in which our clients operate, as well as having proven success in building a customer base and maintaining long term client relationships.
- Extensive previous environmental consultancy experience
- Comfortable working in both a technical and commercial environment
- Technically outstanding in an aquatic discipline on either the ecological or physical side or a related field that provides synergy with current business areas e.g. EIA, terrestrial ecology, river restoration, water resources management, catchment services etc.
- Reviewing, producing and communicating technical reports, including providing effective and constructive feedback to team members as part of an ongoing mentoring and development process
- Project management experience
In summary you will provide inspirational leadership whilst also growing, mentoring and developing a team.
You will be primarily office-based, although site visits and client meetings will be required. A full driving licence is essential.
- Typically at least 5 years’ professional experience
- Experience of working in a commercial consulting environment
- Knowledge of relevant current and emerging UK legislation
- Team/office management experience
- Project management experience
- Tendering/proposal writing experience